Make sure to save these 20 Must Know London Tips for your next trip!
London is an incredible city, and although I have only spent a couple of days there, I will be spending a lot of time there in the near future.
Which means I am currently trying to research and understand London so I don’t stick out like a sore thumb; you know, the tourist you can spot immediately!
London is a spectacular city, with every possible scenario, restaurant, shopping, and activity you can imagine. Plus, you feel welcomed and not out of place, no matter where you’re from.
The history and the architecture, the parks and the river; even when it is raining, makes you want to just be outside and enjoy the sites.
Maybe that is why London is such a melting pot?
- Purchase a UK SIM card for your phone and there is free WiFi all over the city.
- Always carry an umbrella because you never know when it will rain.
- Comfortable shoes are a must as there is a lot of walking and this will generally get you around quicker than waiting for the tube.
- Wear what you want because there will be a neighborhood where you fit in perfectly. Black is a standard as well as you won’t ever go wrong with smart casual.
- Carry a lightweight scarf or shawl with you and layers are a necessity.
- There are quite a few museums that are free.
- Tipping in bars and pubs are not required. However, restaurants may add-on a service charge so you need to ask when you first get there, to avoid double tipping. Most hotels will include a service charge and a 10-15% tip for taxi drivers is customary.
- Save money by getting snacks for your day trips at the grocery store.
- Be vigilant as pick-pocketing is very real.
- Bring an adapter for the United Kingdom for your American chargers.
- Carry a zip-able backpack / day-pack while wandering around the city.
- Travel throughout Europe is relatively inexpensive.
- Dryers in homes are rare.
- Plugs have on/off switches.
- Eggs will not be found in the refrigerator aisle and fresh foods have a shorter shelf life.
- Make sure to research where your local resources are close to home; supermarket, tube entrance, etc.
- Learn how to walk really fast, because apparently everyone in London does.
- Talk about half as loud as you’re used to and don’t feel the need to share your life story when you first meet someone.
- The food scene is incredible and steer-clear of overprices chains in touristy areas.
- Keep your politics private, especially if you are a Republican.
I hope you enjoyed these 20 Must Know London Tips!
Have you been to London? What tips would you like to add?
If you love traveling alone, make sure you check out my post on ‘How to: Solo Traveler Safety‘ for some of the tips I always abide by when traveling solo!
Luxury travel and lifestyle blogger, content creator and influencer | Wanderer | Inspirational traveler | Chef | Writer | Photography lover | Unique and Personalized finds | Animal lover | Wife, daughter, sister, aunt | Champagne in my veins | The beach soothes my soul | Tropical state of mind |