I love to travel and 99% of the time, I won’t wait until I have someone to go with me. I will just go. If we waited till other people were ready, we wouldn’t ever go anywhere. Just make sure, you practice Solo Traveler Safety while out seeing all the magnificent sites!
Like they say, life is what happens while we are making plans. Instead of waiting around to have life experiences, go and get them yourself!
But, how do I stay safe while traveling in foreign countries alone?
Honestly, I use the same rules abroad as I do while at home. Which I highly recommend you do, as well!
- Do research about where you are going
- What are the safest areas of town? Is there nightlife and a social scene where I am staying?
- Where are the markets, restaurants, and bars within walking distance
- What is the public transportation like?
- Get the local taxi app
- Don’t use public transportation at night
- What events are happening while you’re there?
- What is the weather?
Tell others where you’re going
- Tell loved ones the details of your trip, especially if you’re going international
- If going international, register with the State Department here
Trust your gut
- This is crucial and when I say it, we all know what we mean
- No matter where you are, always trust those feelings
Leave your expensive jewelry at home
- There is no need to bring the expensive jewelry with you
- If you want the bling, get costume jewelry
- You don’t want to stick out and give someone a reason to rob you; as sucky as it is to think about, it is reality
How do the local’s dress?
- This is a great way to blend in
- Take a look at Pinterest or Google the native way to dress so you can be like a local
- Don’t be that person who wears something inappropriate in a location, especially a religious one, to make them appear as a tourist and one who doesn’t respect the local cutlture
Arrive during the day
- I always try to arrive between 11AM and 4PM. That way I get to an airport with enough daylight to get to where I am staying
- You definitely don’t want to be trying to find your way through a city, especially a new one, when it is dark
Don’t go out by yourself late at night
- I love to try new restaurants and bars while traveling
- When by myself, I will stick close to where I am staying
- Or, I will join a tour and that way I can meet new people and try new places while in a group
Don’t get drunk
- Just like at home, when you get drunk you lose some controls and you don’t know who is watching and wanting to take advantage
Do go out and wander
- After all that is why you love to travel
Stay diligent and use your best judgement
- Always and not let your guard down
Most importantly, have fun!
- Most of the time I find traveling by myself the best because I can do what I want, when I want
Here are some pics from a few recent solo travels of mine!
Portugal and Mexico were two of the last trips I took by myself. I will tell you, if you haven’t been, go to Portugal! I am currently planning a trip for next year to Portugal; I want to see more of Lisbon and go to Lagos and Porto. This year I will be going to the Caribbean and Australia or Fiji, but I won’t be going alone.
If you have any questions or comments, please let me know! I am always available here, my social media, and my email!
I hope you found this list helpful and don’t be afraid to travel alone!
Make sure you check out my post on ‘5 Amazing and Safe Cities for Solo Female Travelers‘ for your next travel inspo!
Luxury travel and lifestyle blogger, content creator and influencer | Wanderer | Inspirational traveler | Chef | Writer | Photography lover | Unique and Personalized finds | Animal lover | Wife, daughter, sister, aunt | Champagne in my veins | The beach soothes my soul | Tropical state of mind |